It can be even more of a challenge during the summer holidays to make sure your little ones aren’t eating too many sugary snacks.
Too much sugar can lead to the build up of harmful fat on the inside that we can’t see. This fat around vital organs can cause weight gain and serious diseases in the future like heart disease, type 2 diabetes and some cancers.
There is a surprising amount of sugar in popular kids drinks and snacks, so the NHS Change4Life programme have a number of healthy drink and snack alternatives for you try such as:
- Fruit kebabs
- Watermelon fruit lollies
- Carrot sticks
- Apple and celery rice cakes
- Carrot and courgette muffins
- Adding fruit pieces to water
Many more alternatives and healthy recipes can be found on the Change4Life website.
Too much sugar can also lead to painful tooth decay and shockingly in England, every 10 minutes a child has a rotten tooth removed in hospital. You can help stop tooth decay by ensuring your child:
- Has less sugary drinks and snacks
- Brushes their teeth twice a day
- Only has fruit juice once a day and with a meal rather than sipping it throughout the day
- Has regular check-ups at the dentist
You can find your nearest NHS dentist at NHS Choices.