With the cold weather setting in this week, it’s important to take extra care to make sure you stay fit and healthy. Those with long-term respiratory problems need to take extra care as the damp, cold conditions can make you more vulnerable to catching those pesky winter bugs.
If you start to feel unwell, even if it’s a cough or a cold, don’t wait until it gets more serious. Seek advice from your Pharmacist.
Follow these simple tips below to help you and your loved ones to stay fit and well over this cold snap.
- Try and keep your home heated to at least 18C.
- Draw your curtains at dusk and keep doors closed to block out draughts
- Wear several layers of clothes rather than 1 chunky layer. Clothes made from cotton, wool or fleecy fibres help to maintain body heat.
- Have at least one hot meal a day. Eating regularly helps keep you warm.
- Have hot drinks regularly throughout the day.
- Stay active – even moderate exercise can help keep you warm.
- Wrap a scarf loosely around your mouth, wear a hat and shoes with good grip when outdoors.
- If you have a heart or respiratory problem, stay indoors during very cold weather.
- Check in on elderly relatives and neighbours. If you are concerned about a relative or an elderly neighbour, contact your local council or ring the Age UK helpline on 0800 00 99 66.